Tuesday, November 24, 2020

A CURIOUS INSTRUMENT - by Jane Taylor

 




A gentleman, just returned from a journey to London, was surrounded by his children eager, after the first salutations were over, to hear the news; and still more eager to see the contents of a small portmanteau, which were one by one carefully unfolded and displayed to view. After distributing among them a few small presents, the father took his seat again, saying that he must confess he had brought from town, for his own use, something far more curious and valuable than any of the little gifts they had received. It was, he said, too good to present to any of them; but he would, if they pleased, first give them a brief description of it, and then perhaps they might be allowed to inspect it.

The children were accordingly all attention, while the father thus proceeded: "This small instrument is made in the most perfect and wonderful way, and everything about it is very delicate and beautiful. Because of its extreme delicacy it is so liable to injury that a sort of light curtain, adorned with a beautiful fringe, is always provided, and so placed as to fall in a moment on the approach of the slightest danger. Its external appearance is always more or less beautiful, although in this respect there is a great diversity in the different sorts. If you should examine the inside you would find them all alike, but it is so curious, and its powers so truly astonishing, that no one who considers it can suppress his surprise and admiration. By a slight and momentary movement, which is easily made by the person it belongs to, you can ascertain with considerable accuracy the size, color, shape, weight, and value of any article whatever. A person having one is thus saved from the necessity of asking a thousand questions, and trying a variety of troublesome experiments, which would otherwise be necessary; and such a slow and laborious process would, after all, not succeed half so well as a single trial of this very useful article."

George. "If they are such very useful things I wonder that everybody, who can at all afford it, does not have one."

Father. "They are not so uncommon as you may suppose; I myself happen to know several individuals who possess one or two of them."

Charles. "How large is it, Father? Could I hold it in my hand?"

Father. "You might; but I should not like to trust mine with you!"

George. "You will be obliged to take very great care of it, then?"

Father. "Indeed I must: I intend every night to enclose it within the small screen I mentioned; and it must besides be washed occasionally in a certain colorless fluid kept for the purpose. But, notwithstanding the tenderness of this instrument, you will be surprised to hear that its power may be darted to a great distance, without the least injury, and without any danger of losing it."

Charles. "Indeed! and how high can you dart it ?"

Father. "I should be afraid of telling you to what a distance it will reach, lest you should think I am jesting with you."

George. "Higher than this house, I suppose ?"

Father. "Much higher."

Charles. "Then how do you get it again ?"

Father. "It is easily cast down by a gentle movement, that does it no injury."

George. "But who can do this?"

Father. "The person whose business it is to take care of it."

Charles. "Well, I cannot understand you at all; but do tell us. Father, what it is chiefly used for."

Father. "Its uses are so various that I know not which to specify. It has been found very serviceable in deciphering old manuscripts, and, indeed, has its use in modern prints. It will assist us greatly in acquiring all kinds of knowledge; and without it some of the most wonderful things in the world would never have been known. It must be confessed, however, that very much depends on a proper application of it, since it is possessed by many persons who appear not to know what it is worth, but who employ it only for the most low and common purposes without even thinking, apparently, of the noble uses for which it is designed, or of the great joy it is capable of affording. It is, indeed, in order to have you fully appreciate its value that I am giving you this description."

George. "Well, then, tell us something more about it."

Father. "It is very penetrating, and can often discover secrets which could be detected by no other means. It must be said, however, that it is equally prone to reveal them."

Charles. "What! can it speak, then?"

Father. "It is sometimes said to do so, especially when it happens to meet with one of its own kind."

George. "What color are these strange things?"

Father. "They vary considerably in this respect."

George. "What color is yours?"

Father. "I believe of a darkish color, but, to confess the truth, I never saw it in my life."

Both. "Never saw it in your life!"

Father. "No, nor do I wish to; but I have seen a reflection of it, which is so exact that my curiosity is quite satisfied."

George. "But why don't you look at the thing itself?"

Father. "I should be in great danger of losing it if I did."

Charles. "Then you could buy another."

Father. "Nay, I believe I could not prevail upon my body to part with it."

George. "Then how did you get this one?"

Father. "I am so fortunate as to have more than one; but how I got them I really cannot recollect."

Charles. "Not recollect! why, you said you brought them from London to-night."

Father. "So I did; I should be sorry if I had left them behind me."

Charles. "Tell, Father, do tell us the name of this curious instrument."

Father. "It is called - an EYE."




. | via Tumblr




No comments: