Thursday, October 31, 2019

MY HALLOWEEN SECRET - by Babs Cunningham







MY  HALLOWEEN  SECRET

by  Babs Cunningham



I remember counting down the days until Halloween
Thinking for weeks about what costume I wanted
Begging my Mom and changing my mind a thousand times
Being a princess, a gypsy, or a cat
They didn't have as many choices in the 60's
Getting dressed to go trick-or-treating
While it was still light outside
Knowing how quickly the dusk
Would envelope our excursion
Mom would stay at home
While Dad would go with us from house to house
Back then, every porch light was on
If the weather was ever cold
I don't remember
I never remember being scared
Only happily excited
I will never forget the Halloween
When it rained during the day
Our treat bags were made of paper back then
My bag got so heavy with treats
That I had to drag it on the ground
By the time I got home
All the candy was gone
Lost out of a hole in the bottom of the sack
I had to share my brother's treats
Walking home from school the next day
I saw the treats I had lost
And collected them in my pocket
It was my Halloween secret
That I could cherish forever